she sat looking out the window as the train jostled her along. trees, houses, people zipped past her view, as they had long before she rode this rail, and would long after she disembarked.
in her mind, she watched the world run by her, carrying designer bags, wearing impossibly high designer shoes, as she plodded along in her sensible sneakers, though, of late, these aforementioned had taken on a much more upscale quality.
she had spent her entire adult life getting by. paying bills, choosing between food and make up...skipping a trip to the supermarket so she could afford an afternoon of movie and lunch with some female acquaintances. she noted quite clearly to herself that the friend concept was not embedded in this equation.
as she shook along with the train, she felt the old simmering resentment...how her struggling and sacrifices should not have been necessary, as she was a member of a relatively affluent family. however, they gave what they gave, which helped keep her afloat, but without a martini.
she again tamped down this entitlement, turning her head toward the window. it was growing dark. soon, that which she passed would no longer be visible
Subscribe To my heart
- ► 2022 (404)
- ► 2021 (187)
- ► 2020 (333)
- ► 2019 (445)
- ► 2018 (389)
- ► 2017 (439)
- ► 2016 (443)
- ► 2015 (560)
- ► 2014 (693)
- ► 2013 (893)
- ► 2012 (648)
- ► 2011 (451)
- ► 2010 (458)
- ► 2009 (184)
- anudda day like no udda
- today is the day for thanks and giving no walking ...
- she said, she said
- they slept together so tightly knit there could no...
- she dreamed, she looked
- the only thing i know that is around the block is ...
- the old soldier
- never show your feelings keep to yourself your inn...
- i need a place where i can cry where noone has to ...
- she walked briskly through the mist-laden air. th...
- sir real
- synderella syndrome
- trying to tame the anxiety not knowing what's in f...
- tommy had a dream
- spake sheare
- the red tape of infirmity
- an attempt to elevate my mood could not be sated, ...
- ▼ November (27)
- ► 2007 (36)
- ► 2006 (111)
- karen lyons kalmenson
- greetings! i have managed to incorporate my eternal woodstock nation spirit with the high tech 21st century world. i am an artist/writer, who dabbles in rhyme, and, sometimes, reason. my passions are my husband, who is truly the wind that ruffles my sails, animals rights, yoga...waking up in the morning. i find inspiration in too many things to list, and far too many more to remember. sketching, watercolor painting,poetry and photography are my ways of expressing joy and gratitude. from living with a chronic illness, i have learned the beauty of each day, and treat each as another sun salutation, and another chance.